#88 Digging into Russ’ Past
- Today, Jim quizzes Russ about the info his Wikipedia page
- What was Russ like as a kid?
- Russ talks about days on the school yard and life playing prep school hockey in Notre Dame in Saskatchewan
- He remembers his late father’s promise
- Russ also talks about leaving home at 14. Was he homesick?
- He talked about his Hounds teammates Wendel Clark, Gary Leeman, Gord Kluzak and other ND players who made the NHL
- Russ tells a great story of when he realized he had at a chance to get to the show
- The unusual way Russ found out he’d made the 1991 Canada Cup…and he made it ahead of two NHL superstars.
- He remembers playing for Canada at the 1984 World Juniors and then heading straight to play at Olympics. So why were his older Team Canada teammates initially annoyed with him?
- Why did playing in a city like New York have advantages over playing in Montreal and Toronto?
- Russ tells a very emotional story about his dear friend Ron who recently passed away…and you won’t believe the incredible thing Wayne Gretzky did for him.
- Is the NHL’s intense schedule affecting the quality of the performances?
- Wait, Russ’ dream foursome includes Winston Churchill?
February 17, 2021
Share this episode